Monday, June 23, 2008

Watford & Bretons

Well, we had a mixed bag over the weekend, the good thing was Sing yet achieved another 100% running Dog Walk, I am really pleased with him. I hope he will stay like this for the whole season. Last weekend at RVA, we had some courses with no straight forward obstacles in front of the DW, there is always a sharp turn or you have to go left or right after the DW, it is always my nightmare, as I always work so close to him and if I were to pull away slightly, he will either leap and misses changing his stride, so I have to learn to handle him with a lot of switching in front. This weekend at Watford, we have a fast course in the Graded 1-4, a tunnel right in front of the DW, a real invitation to him and he was very good to stride into his "hit it" point and into the tunnel; and in the KC Olympia course, we have to turn sharp left, he changed his stride beautifully and got his "hit it" point; and at Bretons, the poor lad was blew off the DW in the high wind, I asked the judge if he could let me put him back on the DW, I am not being cruel to my dog but I just want to make sure he is not put off by the silly action and he was a little darling, that didn't upset him and he also got his "hit it" point, bless him!
The bad thing was, I was always standing in the wrong position to lead the dogs to back jump a jump! It happened twice at Watford, same jumping course! Sing back jump #15, with him, I knew I could not weave away from him, so I switch in front after the weave and get myself in the right position and send him to turn away from me at jump #15 but I forgot to move and poor thing back jump it!! This happened to Saturn in the same course but he back jump #8, again, I was standing in the wrong position!!! I was annoyed with myself. Then, at Watford, I stand right in front of the wing to get Saturn to turn into me, that was obviously a terrible mistake, there were no room for him to turn and he ended up spinning and didn't know where to go!! Bless him!! He needs a better handler!!
I think I must be over relaxing over the last few weeks and forgot all about how to handle a dog!! I need some serious training!!
Saturn & I also pair with Matt & Bracken at Bretons for Small/Medium pairs. Matt & Bracken was brilliant, they went so fast and clear, unfortunately Saturn pick up a 5 on the weave entry!! Again, lack of training!! Other than that, it was a very good round. Thanks to Matt & Bracken for pairing with us!

No comments: