Monday, August 04, 2008

BEST COMPANION

After a wet start on Saturday morning at Aylesbury, we decided to go home after the morning runs, Saturn was on good form, unfortunately his "powerful" start cost him a limp, it was an angle to the Dog Walk and I was probably blocking his view and he hit himself very hard on the beginning of the wet DW, that gave him a good shock! There were a lot of dogs slipped and fell off the wet dog walk and see-saw, nearly 8 out ot 10 dogs has the same problem. With Sing, I had to keep shouting "easy" and "steady" and he hardly heard this commands in his run (he does not need those commands), so he was all confused and did a few spins and turns and we finished off in a terribly slow time!! The rain was getting heavier by 10:30 and we decided to have a relaxing weekend at home, so we left at 11:00!!
On Sunday, we go to the Sheltie Club SE Branch Graden Party instead. The weather was very kind to us, it didn't rain until the party has finished. We had an enjoyable and relaxing time with a SEA of SHELTIES!! All the boys had a good time meeting all the shelties, Sizzle was great and he was amazed to see so many shelties and people. He was excellent and handle himself very well in the party. We saw Dave and Margaret and GOSH! Sizzle remembered them well. He seems to be able to smell them from a distance and he went bonkers when he gets to them!!
Eventhough my shelties have NO show quality but they are the BEST COMPANION! It was a shamed that I didn't try to put Sizzle in the baby class, it will be good for him to learn to be handled by others, I saw some lovely puppies there and two in particular catching my eyes and then later I found out they are litter brother and sister!
I didn't know they also have a companion class for those not showable shelties but I managed to squeeze Skye in at the very last minute for some fun. I wish I know so I could plan which dog to put in the "companion" class. Obviously Skye hasn't got the "waggiest tail", no "smiling face", no "best ears" (if I were to know that, I will put Saturn in instead!!) ... but there is an overall Companion prize, I don't know what they are looking for, so I just get Skye to do some tricks and HA! He won the OVERALL BEST COMPANION!! Yipeeee for my good lad.
There was also a "fastest reacll" competition, 25p a go, so I take turn to recall all of them, yes including Sizzle and he was great, didn't run off and staright back to me! Saturn won the over 15" and his time was 161 (I assume that was 1.61 seconds). I could tell you that there is no sheltie can beat him, the average time was over 2 seconds! Titan finished in 191 and the other four boys finished in just over 2 seconds. I also won the under 15" with Starry, he was once my dog for few months, so I gave him a go and he was not far behind Saturn, he finished in 167. Eventhough Jim & Joan was claiming him under 15" but they think he is too big for under 15" but whatever it is, Titan was the fastest in the under 15", basically, I am the overall winners for the fastest recall!
Eventhough they are NO show quality but they are the BEST COMPANION

1 comment:

Sara said...

Your shelties look so proud of their ribbons! Show dogs are sooooo over rated!!

I bet 6 show dogs would not sit so politely together and pose for photos like your dogs do!

You should get them a modeling contract.