Friday, March 13, 2009

swimming shelties

This post is dedicated to Diana. She asked me how did I get all my shelties to swim?

Sing came with us on our holidays to the Lake District when he was 11 weeks old. We spent quite a few days at the beaches because Colin was hoping to spot some seals. Sing and I got so bored so we played a lot of ball fetching on the beach. Somehow, one day, the ball roll into the sea, I've got panic and shouted at Colin sitting on the bench "day dreaming" about the seals to go and fetch the ball in the sea for us. First of all, you guys must be wondering why can't I fetch the ball myself? Well, because I am scared of sea, yes, I am being silly but I never dare swimming in the sea and also the wave have washed the tennis ball further that I could reach. As Colin slowly walk towards me, he suddenly stood there and pointed at the sea, so I turned and look, there was my Sing swimming in the sea fetching the ball! That was his first time swimming. I thought this must be just a one off but Colin said we can try to get him to swim that would be good. We all know dogs love swimming but sheltie?
Anyway, we gave it a go and Colin promised he will go in and fetch the ball if Sing does not. So, I chucked the ball in the sea and said to Sing: FETCH. Brave little Sing went straight in fighting the wave to bring his tennis ball back and of course we made a big fuss of him. Since then, we spent the entire holiday fetching the ball in the sea!
I think Sing is a natural swimmer because he loves water, he really does! He can swim anywhere, any weather! The only problem is we cannot get him out when he sees water! He is also a great diver too!

cute little Sing, age 11 weeks old at Lake District

Sing swims in the sea
he is also a great diver!
When we have Seagull, we were hoping he could swim like Sing but with all the behaviour problems he has, we can't bother then.
So, when Saturn and Titan came along, we thought we will get them to swim. I took them to Greyfriars with Sing in the winter, Saturn wasn't too sure about it, so I jumped into the pool and when he saw me in the pool, he decided he will join me. Once he started, he looks like a natural swimmer but he only swim in the pool, he does not swim in the open water unless I am in there. I actually made a big deal jumping into the Seven Islands Pond last summer just to get him to swim in the open water. He did swim in the pond when he saw me in there and the funny thing was he started to chase the coot in the pond since he knows the pond is safe to swim.
Titan is not as brave. He is definitely not a naturaly swimmer as his back end sink when he is in the water. He is not good in balancing himself. When I took him to Greyfriars, he freak, so after a while we gave up.
Titan is not a happy swimmer, he rather play rough!
Skye loves water too but he is not as brave as Sing and he is another NOT natural swimmer. He is happily fetch anything in the open water but with his back end sink in the water, I dare not throw anything too far.
Skye enjoys swimming but it takes too much energy out of him as he is using his two front legs peddle very hard!
Sizzle? O my little Sizzle. Eventhough he is not as brave as Sing but he can swim in the pool and the open water. If we go somewhere new and he is not sure of the water, I just need a tiny push and he will start swimming. He can swim very far.
I always encourage my dogs to swim in any circumstances. I don't believe shelties cannot swim!



5 comments:

Vonnie said...

WOW! Look at him dive, fantasic picture! What a clever dog! It's great their getting all types of exercise. very fit dogs you have Lian. All the pictures are brill!

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

lol, I love seeing the swimming pics of them. Ludo's not keen on the water, he will go in for his wubba though.

Sara said...

I am looking forward to trying to get Oreo and Misty to swim this August on vacation.

You have proven - shelties can LOVE to swim. I just love the diving photos! Pure joy for the dogs.

Christy said...

WOW
What a great swimmer. Aren't shelties good swimmers? Piper loves the water, she is very much like Sing. Her brother Truman is the same. We can't get them out of the water when we go to the lake for vacation. I thought shelties were natural in water.
This summer I am taking her to the ocean and now I hope she loves it as much as Sing.
Thanks for the great photos and stories. Now I am even more excited about the beach.

Chris and Ricky said...

We really enjoyed your story about your swimming shelties! I am not a natural swimmer, I guess, since my back end sinks too.

Awesome photo of Sing diving!!!!!